Throughout your life, a natural cycle of dying and regeneration occurs in your hair. As you age, your hair follicles create less colour; hence you will start ‘greying’.
Once you reach age 35, your aging hair follicles are likely to create white or grey hair to replace the last hair that died. Nonetheless, your genetics will dictate when exactly the greying process will begin for you. Some people can start producing white hair as early as in their late teens or 20s, while others may not show signs of greying until their late 40s.
While some individuals view white hair as a sign of wisdom and maturity, many believe that as their hair turns white, they begin to look older and prefer the white to disappear for a more youthful appearance. Read on to learn more about how to treat white hair with natural remedies and professional treatment:
Lifestyle changes to treat white hair
If you’re concerned that you’ve noticed a few white hairs, you can alter your way of life to prolong the longevity of your natural hair colour. Here are a few of these simple steps to take:
1. Vitamin supplements – Supplement your diet with hair-boosting vitamins such as vitamin B (especially vitamin B-12 and biotin), as well as vitamins A, E and D
2. Mineral supplements – Minerals that help repair and boost hair growth include zinc, iron, magnesium, selenium and copper.
3. Stop smoking if you’re a smoker.
4. Protect your hair from the damaging UV rays – cover up with a hat or a scarf when you’re out under the sun.
5. Stop damaging your hair by bleaching, brushing wet hair, applying too much heat treatment and styling, using harsh shampoos that contain parabens and sodium laureth sulphate, and washing hair too frequently.
In addition to the one listed above, these home remedies are also believed to be effective in preventing white hair:
1. Coconut oil – Before going to bed every other day, massage your hair and scalp with coconut oil. Wash your hair, as usual, the following day.
2. Ginger – Take a teaspoon of freshly grated ginger with one tablespoon of honey daily.
3. Black sesame seeds – Consume a tablespoon of black sesame seeds to slow down and even reverse the greying process. Do this 2-3 times a week.
4. Wheatgrass juice – Drink one to two ounces of fresh wheatgrass juice daily, or add one tablespoon of wheatgrass powder daily to your soups and smoothies.
5. Onion – To obtain the juice from an onion, process it in a blender and then drain the mixture. Rub this juice into your scalp twice weekly, let it sit for 30 minutes, and then shower as usual.
6. Carrot juice – Drink 8 ounces of carrot juice daily.
You can also produce your own natural hair dye using herbs from your kitchen. This hair colour is less potent than commercially available chemical dyes, so it takes several applications before you notice a difference. Primary ingredients that are recommended are:
- Blonde hair – chamomile flower tea, lemon peel, saffron, marigold flower
- Red hair – beet juice, carrot juice, rose petals
- Brown hair – coffee, cinnamon
- Black hair – black walnut, black tea, sage, nettle
Additionally, some natural cosmetics ingredients recommended recipes for hair dye include:
- Black pepper – Mix a tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper and one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice into ½ cup of plain yoghurt. Massage the mixture into your hair, leaving it in place for an hour and then rinsing it. Repeat three times weekly.
- Henna – Combine a cup of black tea or coffee with enough henna powder to create a paste that resembles yoghurt. Place a cover over the bowl and wait. Add two teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil to the mix; then apply the mixture to your hair after six hours. If you want a deeper colour, leave the mixture on your hair longer and rinse it off after 1 to 3 hours.
Medical intervention for reversing white hair
The loss of melanocyte cells causes white or grey hair. Thus at Gui Ren Tang – Singapore, we offer a unique and natural white hair treatment solution that innovatively targets two main key factors to preserve and prevent the loss of melanocyte cells effectively for over two decades. This solution works by:
(1) Repairing cells in hair follicle tissues and replenishing 100 per cent phytonutrients to stimulate growth in new pigment cells.
(2) Including the therapeutic meridian remedy, which for one, improves blood circulation for hair to regain its lustre and colour.
Over time, this treatment will help reduce the loss of dark melanin and prevent white hair formation. Interested to know more about our white hair treatment solution and how it can work for you? Get in touch with us to book an appointment today.