To get healthy, strong, and beautiful hair, you need to take care of it from the inside and out. This means eating a healthy diet, using the right hair products, and protecting your hair from external damage. Healthy hair also requires maintenance, such as regular trims and salon treatments. If you think just washing your hair with your regular shampoo will suffice, it won’t.
Here are seven tips on how to keep your hair healthy, strong and beautiful:
1. Eat a healthy diet
You are what you eat, and the same goes for your hair. Your hair is made up of keratin, a protein, so it’s essential to eat a diet rich in protein. Consume a lot of fruits, veggies, and whole grains as well. These foods contain vitamins and minerals that are essential for healthy hair growth.
2. Use the right hair products
Choose shampoo and conditioner that are specifically designed for your hair type. If you have dry hair, look for products that are moisturising. If you have oily hair, look for products that are clarifying. You should also use a leave-in conditioner to protect your hair from heat damage.
3. Protect your hair from damage
When swimming, wear a swim cap to protect your hair from chlorine and saltwater. When you’re styling your hair, use heat protectant spray before you use any heat styling tools. Moreover, brushing your hair when wet should be avoided since it may break.
4. Wash your hair sparingly
Wash your hair at most 3-4 times a week. Your hair might become dry and brittle due to overwashing, which also strips it of its natural oils.
5. Get regular trims
Breaking may result from split ends that have migrated up the hair shaft. Trimming your hair every 6-8 weeks will help to remove split ends and keep your hair looking healthy.
6. Use a comb instead of a brush
Hair loss can be caused by stress, so it’s critical to learn appropriate coping mechanisms. Stress reduction techniques that work well include yoga, meditation, and exercise.
7. Manage stress
Using a wide-tooth comb, detangle your damp hair. Be gentle and avoid tugging at your hair, which can cause breakage.
In addition to these ‘golden rules’ of haircare, there are also some additional tips that may help:
- Massage your scalp regularly – Massaging your scalp helps to increase blood circulation and promote hair growth.
- Use a silk or satin pillowcase – Cotton pillowcases can absorb moisture from your hair, making it dry and frizzy. You may minimise frizz and nourish your hair by using a silk or satin pillowcase.
- Wear a hat when outdoors – Protect your hair from harmful UV rays with a wide-brimmed hat.
- Avoid tight ponytails – Repetitive pulling on your hair can lead to traction alopecia or hair loss. If you frequently wear your hair in tight buns, braids, or ponytails – especially if you use heat or chemicals on it – you run the risk of developing traction alopecia.
Additional tips for your specific hair types:
- Dry hair: Use a deep conditioner once a week to help hydrate your hair. You can also try using a hair mask or oil treatment.
- Oily hair: Use a clarifying shampoo once a week to remove excess oil from your hair. In between washes, you may also use a dry shampoo as an alternative to keep your hair fresh.
- Curly hair: Use a leave-in conditioner to help define your curls and reduce frizz. You can also use a diffuser attachment on your blow dryer to help prevent frizz.
- Coloured hair: Use a shampoo and conditioner that are specifically designed for coloured hair. These products will help to protect your colour and keep it looking its best.
Like everything in life, your hair requires careful care and maintenance to ensure health. You can maintain your hair strong, gorgeous, and healthy by using these suggestions. If you’re struggling with keeping your hair healthy despite all efforts, it’s time to talk to an expert. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you are dealing with hair fall issues and other concerts. Our experts are happy to help you find the best solution for your hair.